Wednesday, December 10, 2014

25 Days of BlogMas | Day 9


(Totally failed to get this out to you guys yesterday. Sorry!)

Today was the first day my classroom teacher was able to come into work. Something a lot of people don't realize about pneumonia is, the actual flu-like symptoms are gone within about a week, but the toll it takes on your body is so bad that it takes a couple more weeks to fully recover.

(Time out: Can you believe that the first week of December has already passed?!)

I was so happy my classroom teacher was able to come in, we all missed her, but she left at 1:30. She just couldn't do it one more hour. Her lungs were starting to burn and she just felt totally wiped out.

It was nice not having to do everything myself that day. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching, but in the future when I have my own classroom, I won't have to go to work, then class then do homework.

2:30 came quickly and all the students were out of the school within five minutes.

...that left me with about 15 minutes to kill, so I worked on my portfolio (I had to present it later in class).

Well around 3 I grabbed all my stuff and headed to my car. It was torrentially (is that a word?) down-pouring so I guess you could say I was also trying to wait out the rain.

As I was walking to my car, I noticed a large Ford SUV parked next to it, with someone in the drivers seat...

It was Brendan!!

He had surprised me with a bouquet of roses because it was my last undergraduate class EVER! 

I've never had a bigger smile on my face. It was just what I needed!

Sadly I couldn't stay with him for long because I had to go to class...

When I got to campus, I parked my car at a meter for the last time and walked to my very last undergrad class. 

I got there and guess what? My professor gave each of us a long stem rose and poured some sparkling cider into champagne flutes.

Today was a day full of celebration. Even though I still have to finish up assignments and drop them off in my professors mailboxes by Sunday, I never had to attend a class again! YEEEESS!!

After class, I headed home. I took a shower and washed my hair (WOW did that feel good). This whole semester I have been totally neglectful of myself. Of course I shower and brush my teeth every morning, but because I have to. Tuesday night was the first time in a while that I pampered myself with 'the good body scrub' or the expensive conditioner... because I was in the mood too.

Brendan picked me up and we enjoyed a wonderful dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. I got the Chinese Chicken Salad, which is to die for! And, of course, a slice of Tuxedo Cheesecake to go :-)

We spent the remainder of the night watching the season finale of Sons of Anarchy.

I never thought I'd see the day where I'd actually finish my undergrad career. Looking back on the day, I remember sitting in class and thinking back to my freshman year. Different college, different peers, different me. I was in a totally different place. A down in the dumps, depressive, dark place. I always dwell on the past and so I've never given my chance to realize that I was getting closer to the end. I remember exactly how I felt 5.5 years ago, sitting along in my dorm room, under the blankets. I'm so proud of where I am now, how much I've learned, how strong I've become and the people who I have in my life now that just make it all worth while.

Until next time,